Located behind the old Fluvanna Church, on the curve,
now called The Fluvanna Church Youth Center,
on Route 430, Town of Ellicott, Fluvanna,
Chautauqua County, NY.



The first record of a burial plot in Fluvanna, other than burying on some part of land owned by individual families, was in 1827. Samuel Whittemore's first child was born, which lived but a few days. Steps were immediately taken by which a parcel of ground was purchased of Henry Strunk for a burial place, Samuel Whittemore giving his note for the same, and the remains of their child was the first interred in this lot, known as lot 199. Records show deed dated Feb. 8, 1839; acknowledged, Nov. 15, 1839. Recorded June 22, 1863.

When it became necessary to enlarge and improve the grounds, a meeting was called and the following were present: Wallace Smiley, Wm. Hale, Simeon Wilbur, Jeremiah Griffith, Joshua Cheney, Amos Halliday, Henry Strunk, James Lee, Samuel Whittemore, Samuel Brown, Alex Bentley, Asel Smiley, J. J. Atherly, and J. M. Curtis.

By a majority it was voted to call the grounds "Fluvanna Cemetery." The number of trustees agreed upon was twelve; four elected to serve one year; Alex Bentley, Morgan Loucks, George Lee and H. A. Whittemore; four to serve two years: Wm. Hale, Simeon Wilbur, Jeremiah Gtriffith, and Alex Simmons; four to serve three years: Amos Halliday, Wm. Griffith, Joshua Cheney and Asel Smiley. By a majority vote present it was agreed that the annual meeting for trustees should be on the first Saturday in February of each and every year. Signed and sealed in presence of Asel Smiley, Jeremiah Griffith, Chairman; H. A. Whittemore, secretary. Acknowledged, Mar. 28, 1863, before Asel Smiley, Justice of the Peace. Recorded March 31, 1863.

Many bodies have been taken up from other places in the surrounding vicinity and placed in this cemetery. There was a burial place upon the Townline road on a farm once owned by Amos Ferguson on the Ellery side of the road. The bodies removed many years ago. There was also a burying ground at the cross roads on the southeast corner on land formerly owned by Ensign Hale. In 1878, on filling an application of the supervisor, Town Clerk and Justice of the Peace of the Town of Ellery to the Board of Supervisors, power was given to the Supervisor of Ellery to sell and cause to be removed ll bodies from the cemetery located at the cross roads leading from Jamestown to Mayville (now known as Driftwood) to the Fluvanna Cemetery.

In 1892 by the Board of Supervisors, the trustees of the Fluvanna Cemetery, Town of Ellicott, are authorized to build and properly maintain a fence around cemetery, to improve lots, grade, change drives and passage ways where advisable. In 19__, a group of women was organized as the Fluvanna Cemetery Society, having for its object the reclaiming and beautifying of the cemetery grounds. By their efforts and co-operation with the Superintendent, Ernest Smith, the Fluvanna Cemetery is one of the best cared for in the county.

There are several Revolutionary soldiers buried here, among them are Jeremih Griffith, William Smiley, Joseph Loucks, Jacob Fenton, William Martin and John Rhodes. Of the War of 1812 are Amos Ferguson, John Lee, James Livingston, Joseph Smiley, Ebenezer Dunton and Samuel Hoard. Also many
Civil War veterans are buried there.

Monuments have been errected made from our common sandstone. A few headstones have been made from the same material. Other monuments record the names of many of the early pioneers and their families. The Fenton, Whittemores, Simmons, Browns, Griffiths, Hales and many others whose final resting place is in the Fluvanna Cemetery, surrounded by the community of which they were the early founders.
From The Early History of Fluvanna - Chautauqua County, NY by Betty Sherwin.
(No copyright date).

SOURCE: Loraine Smith, Town of Ellery Historian, 2002.