Arkwright Methodist Episcopal Church of Busti
A class was formed in the “Abbey” by Elder David PRESTON, in June 1830. It consisted of 8 members:
Ira and Elizabeth RICHARDSON
Reuben & Fanny HOWE
Those who joined soon after were:
Andrus M. HUYCK
and probably the wives of some of them.
A portion of the members were from the adjacent towns of Sheridan, Hanover and Arkwright. Mr. Huyck has been a class leader most of the time since its organization. The class increased to the number of 60 the first year. Although it has continued to prosper, no church ediface has been built; meetings having been generally held in the district school-house, the present house having been, in its construction, designed partly for that purpose.
Methodist Episcopal Church of Busti Corners (1819)
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Busti Corners was organized in 1819, with 60 members, by Reverend Alvin BURGESS the first pastor. The church edifice was built the same year.
Baptist Church of Busti (1819)
The Baptist Church at Busti, Chautauqua Co. NY was organized August 30, 1819 by a counsil consisting of Elders;
Members uniting at the time of the organization were;
and it is believed Henry L. FRANK, John L FRANK, John FRANK Jr and Elijah DEVEREAUX, also were first members. A few days after, William FRANK and Mary Ann SHEPHARD were admitted. The first church edifice was erected in 1836, the present one (*1874) in 1856. The first pastor was Rev. Paul DAVIS.
Frewsburgh Baptist Church (1858)
The Frewsburgh Baptist Church was formed JAn 1, 1858 and was composed of about 60 members of a church then existing, but now extinct, known as the "First Baptist Church of Carroll" It was first called the Second Baptist Church of Carroll, and took its present name Sept. 20, 1842. It was recognized by an ecclesiastical council Feb 14, 1838. March 10, 1838 John G. CURTIS and Phineas ANNIS were chosen deacons. Until 1842 the church had no regular pastor, but was supplied part of the time by Rev. Arza STONE, Benjamin OVIATT, and J. WILSON. It was received into the Harmony Baptist Assoc. in 1838; and in 1842 joined with the First Church in sustaining Rev. M. COLBY as pastor for about 1 year. The church was then again with out a pastor til about 1845. Its subsequent pastors were;
Elisha B. SPARKS
Lucien L. GAGE
Judson H. MILLER
Phineas ANNIS, John C. MARTIN, George L. FOSTER, John D. BAIN. The Baptist Society, under the general law of the state, was formed Jan 14, 1850. The first trustees were Phineas ANNIS, Elias HOWARD, George W. FENTON, John MEYERS Jr., Jacob PERSELL. Present trustees (1874) George W. FENTON, John Meyers JR, Parker E. MILLER, John C. MARTIN, John D. BAIN, George L. FOSTER, Ray W. PORTER. Parker E. MILLER is clerk and treasurer.
Baptist Church of Chautauqua (1808)
John PUTNAM, David ATKINS, Edmund JONES, John PARK, Miles SCOFIELD, Sabra PUTNAM (wife of John), Hannah PARK, Abigail SCOFIELD, and Sally SCOFIELD, met at John PUTNAM'S near Chautauqua Lake, 2 1/2 miles south of Dewittville, with a view to the organization of a church; A council was subsequently called for this purpose.
The council, composed of Elders;
Peter P. ROOTS of Fabius,
Joel BUTLER of Sangerfield,
Hezekiah EASTMAN and Joy HANDY,
met on the 10th of October, and received the brethren and sisters into fellowship of a church. On the next day, the council ordained Edmund JONES to the gospel ministry. In Feb 1817, the church was geographically divided by running a line due east from the lake, leaving John PUTNAM, in the first church of Chautauqua, in July, Mr. PUTNAM was ordained a Deacon. In April 1821 after the town of Stockton had been formed from Chautauqua, the name of the church was changed to The First Church of Stockton, its present name, and the school house near Miles SCOFIELD's in school district No 1 was established as the regular place for meetings of the church.
Among the early members were;
and Elisha TOWER.
In October following, the inhabitants of this school district and vicinity were organized, under the act of the legislature, as the "First Baptist Congregational Society of Stockton" And being one of the first 2 incorporated religious societies in the town, it became entitled to the donation of 50 acres of land from the Holland Land Company.First Baptist Church of Mayville (1820)
Methodist Episcopal Church at Cherry Creek
A class was formed as early as 1817 or 1818. Among its members were Joseph M KENT and Patty, his wife, and others whose names are not recollected, and for the want of records, can not be ascertained. Meetings were at first held at the house of Mr. Kent. The place of meeting wa afterwards moved to the Spencer school-house, West of the village. Among early class leaders, were:
Russell SPENCER and Robert JAMES Jr.
The church was fully organized with seven members in 1857, by Rev O L MEAD. Their church edifice was built in 1859. The present minister  is Rev A WILDER.
Christian Church at Cherry Creek (1839)
A Christian Church was organized in Cherry Creek, March 23, 1839. The elders officiating were
Seth S. CHASE was chosen ruling elder, and Sullivan GARDNER deacon and clerk.
Members at the organization of the church were:
Seth S. CHASE
This church has no meeting – house, but maintaisins its organization.
Free-Will Baptist Church at Cherry Creek
The Free-Will Baptist Church, in the town of Cherry Creek, was formed About the year 1826, by Rev Thomas GRINNELL; and is said to Have been the earliest religious organization in the town, and was Composed of
John P HADLEY and wife
Jotham GODFREY and wife
Mrs Gardner CRANDALL
The society built its first meeting-house in 1845
First Baptist Church of Cherry Creek (1831)
The First Baptist Church of Cherry Creek was formed Feb 5, 1831 Under the title name of “Branch Church of the Connewango Church.” The following are the names of the constituent members:
Methodist Episcopal Church in Clymer (1825)
The Methodist Episcopal church in Clymer was organized about the year 1825. Rev John P. KENT, who is still living, formed the first class in Clymer village. The members of this class, as stated from recollection were
Elijah & Sarah AMIDON
Leonard & Esther AMIDON
John & Phebe BLISS
James & Mary MORDEN
Who is still living. The circuit was called North-east; John P. KENT, minister in charge; Rev Wm. SWAYZEE, presiding elder. Mr. Kent was succeeded in 1826 by Rev. Henry KNAPP; and he, in 1827, by Wilder B. MACK and John C. AYRES. The society has been regularly supplied with pastors until the present time. The present pastor  is Rev. J. F. HILL.
First Baptist Church of Clymer (1828)
The First Baptist Church of Clymer was organized about the year 1828.
The persons who composed the church at the time of its formation were:
Samuel ALVORD & wife
Silas BARNES & wife
Mrs. Abigail BENNETT
And at the same time or not long after,
Abishai UNDERWOOD & wife
Mrs. Roxa THOMPSON
And perhaps a few others.
The first house of worship was built in 1840, and was since given as a donation to the United Brethen by whom it is still occupied. Their present church edifice was built in 1868-69, and dedicated in August, 1869. The first minister of this Church was Samuel ALVORD; and after him, Ransom SWAIN, Levant RATHBUN, and others. The first deacon was Daniel P PHINNEY. Present deacons; Leonard B. FREEMAN and John MARSH. Clerk; Melancthon GLEASON.
Baptist Church of Dunkirk (1830)
The Baptist Church of Dunkirk was organized in 1830. Members of the Baptist church at Fredonia residing at Dunkirk, having obtained permission of the church to form a separate society, a council was called for this purpose.
The names of the petitioners for the new church were:
The council met at Dunkirk, March 17, 1830. Letters of dismission from the church at Fredonia were presented by the petitioners and also by Betsey FARNSWORTH and Henry H. AYRES from other churches. The council adjourned to the 5th of May and met on that day. The delegates were from Mayville church, Rev Jairus HANDY and brethren S. COTES and Horace LAPHAM.
From 2nd Ripley: H. CHIPMAN & Amos MASON.
From 1st Ripley: Isaac F. BUTLER and J.W. HILL.
From 1st Pomfret: Elders Elisha TUCKER & Joy HANDY
and brethren J.Z. SAXTON, Nathaniel CROSBY, Benj RANDALL, and D.J. MATTESON.
In additon to those having previously presented letters, the following named Persons from the first church in Pomfret were received:
Benj J ROBBINS
Mosley W ABELL
Mary Ann ROBBINS,
Articles of Faith were presented and accepted; and the church was duly acknowledged by the council. May 18, 1830, John BOWEN was chosen deacon and John BOND clerk.
St. John's Church (Episcopal) (1850)
St John’s Church [Episcopal] of Dunkirk, was organized in 1850, under Rev. Charles Arey. The names of the officers at the time of its organization are not furnished, except that of Mr. Hanson A. Risley, one of the wardens. Present wardens are R.T. Coleman and C. D. Murray. The first rector was Mr. Arey. His successors have been Wm B. Edson, H. C. Eayre Coztelle, P. P. Kidder, and C. B. Champlin, the present rector, who took charge in July 1873. The first church edifice was consecrated by Rev. Samuel H. Coskry, of Michigan, Jan. 11, 1859, date of construction not given. The present building has been used for about eight years, though not yet completed. It is of brick and valued at $14,000.
St. Mary's Church (Roman Catholic) (1851)
St Mary’s Church [Roman Catholic] was organized by Rev. Peter Colgan, the first minister, 1851, in which year their first house of worship was erected.
St. John's German United Evangelical Church (1856)
St. John’s German United Evangelical Church at Dunkirk was organized in 1856, and in 1858 erected a house of worship.
German Methodist Episcopal Church (1857)
The German Methodist Episcopal Church was organized by Rev. C. Blinn, the first pastor, in 1857. Their church edifice was built in 1859.
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Dunkirk (????)
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Dunkirk, no statistics have been received.
Zion's Church (Evangelical Association) (1865)
Zion’s Church [Evangelical Association] at Dunkirk, was organized with fifteen members, by Rev. J. J. Bernhardt, the first pastor, in 1865, and built a church edifice the same year.
Christian Church of Ellington (1823)
The Christian Church of Ellington (then Gerry) was organized July 13,1823 and was composed of seven members:
Noel C. GATES
[It is believed that the first and third of the following named officers make up the seven original members.]
Freeman WALDEN and
Elisha BEARDSLEY were chosen elders;
Seth S. CHASE, deacon
No articles of faith were adopted; the members simply agreeing “ to take the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments for the rule of faith and practice at all times.” From the time of organization for about tens years the records are meager, containing little else than the record of members received and dismissions. Among the ministers who served the church were:
The meeting house was built about 1845. It was repaired in 1859, and dedicated anew, Jan 5, 1860; sermon by E. B. ROLLINS.
Free-will Baptist Church of Ellington (1828)
The Free-Will Baptist Church of Ellinton was organized in 1828, by Elder Amos C. ANDRUS, a traveling preacher, who was the first minister. It was composed of eight members, who with those who united soon after, were:
Julius DEWEY & wife
John R. FELT & wife
Joseph SEEKINS & wife
_______MARSH & wife
Adolphus HOWARD & wife (from near Sinclairville)
Jeremiah BALDWIN & wife
Comfort CARPENTER & wife
The first settled pastor was Francis B. TANNER, who served the church about 20 years. After him were:
Present minister  A. P. COOK.
The first deacon was Enoch WALLACE; present deacons: Winthrop JOHNSON and _____BOSS.
The church edifice built in 1840, as is said by the only surviving original member, or, as others think, a few years later.
Congregational Church (1828)
The Congregational Church of Ellington was organized, February 4, 1828, at the house of Lucretia French, in the north part of the town – Rev. Wm. J. Wilcox, moderator of the meeting; Benj. Ellsworth, clerk. The candidates presenting themselves for membership were: James Bates, Benj. Ellsworth, Israel Carpenter, Aaron Merrill, Josiah D. Bates, Lucretia French, Calista Ellsworth, Harriet Spear, Nancy Bates, Polly Landon. In March Otis Page was received by letter, and elected deacon. There were admitted in addition to the above in , during the year 1828: Elizabeth Armstrong, Elizabeth Vader, Timothy Gross, Warren Mansfield, Wm. Ware and Sally, his wife, Daniel Bush, and Jane, his wife, Mrs. A.B. Farman. In 1830 Daniel Bush was chosen deacon. In 1842, a house of worship was built. The first minister was Rev. Wm. J. Wilcox; term of service not definitely stated. Rev. Wm. Waith, from April, 1840 to August 30, 1847. He was succeeded by S. W. Edson, Wm Todd, Charles A. Keeler, David Powell, Wm. D. Henry, W. J. Hunt, Henry Benson, H. O. Howland, Mr. Olds, the present pastor. This church was at first connected with or represented in the Buffalo Presbytery. This connection was subsequently dissolved. During the ministry of Rev. Wm. Waith, its government was changed to Presbyterian; and was afterwards changed to its present form, purely Congregational.
Baptist Church at French Creek (1821)
Was the first organized church in the town; their first meetings were held in a log school house on lot 54, near the present residence (1874) of John JONES. Among the first members were
William ADAMS and wife
Nathaniel THOMPSON and wife
? FARNSWORTH and wife
A.M. HIGGINS and wife
and Amon BEEBE
The ministers officiating at its organization were Elder GILLET and Elder ALFORD. In consequence of the removal from the town of a large portion of its members, the church was continued but a few years. Another Baptist church was formed in 1844-45 which after a brief existence, became extinct, a third was formed about 1856 and it has also ceased to exist;
Christian Chruch at French Creek (1831)
Organized by Elder, Jerry KNOWLES.
With a membership of about 24, among whom were M. BLOSS, Calvin BLOSS, Mrs. Hubbard BOWLES, and others, the ceremony of washing feet was literally observed in this church.
Methodist Episcopal Church of French Creek (1830)
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the north-east part of the town, in 1830, by Rev. J. K. HALLOCK and Rev. J. CHANDLER, who were the first two pastors. The first members were:
Isiah & Betsey GOLDING
William & Amy ADAMS
MOSES OLDS & wife
Mrs. BOWLES also united at the same time, or soon after. Their first and only house of worship stands on lot 46. It was finished in 1867. The Society received 50 acresof land from the Holland Land Company. This land, like similar donations in other towns, was called *“gospel land.” It was a part of lot 30 and was sold by order of the county court, on a Petition of the church; and the proceeds were applied to the building of a House of worship. [* The Holland Land Company – had set aside “gospel land” in each town. Most of the churches sold this land to acquire the money to build an edifice. A court order was needed to sell the land because the “church” first had to establish ownership of the land and that another church was not entitled to it. Many lawsuits were filed over this “gospel land”]
Methodist Episcopal Church (1819)
The Methodist Episcopal Church in Gerry was the first religious association in the town, and was formed in or about the year 1819, the first religious meeting having been held in the spring of 1818, by Elder Jonathan Wilson. The Society, as such, was subsequently organized under the general statute of the state; and December 12, 1818, a deed was executed to James Scofield, the grandfather of Major-General Schofield, Wm. Alverson, and Stoddard Cameron, as its trustees, of 100 acres of land, by the Holland Land Company, of lands appropriated by them to religious purposes. Upon this land was built the first church erected in the town, which was situated upon lot 53, and on the road leading from Sinclairville to Vermont, a little northwest from the center of town.
First Baptist Church of Gerry (1820)
The First Baptist Church of Gerry was formed by Rev. Jonathan Wilson, about 1820. It was composed chiefly of members from the Stockton Baptist church. They held their first meetings in Jerry Abbeys’ log house, at what was then known as “The Huddle,” a small cluster of log houses near the old Cutting stand.
The only church edifice in the town (1875) is a free church, which will seat 100 persons, built a few years since at Vermont.
First Baptist Church of Hanover (1811)
The First Baptist Church of Hanover – The records of this church prior to 1833 being lost, the date of its formation can not be given with certainty. According to the recollection of some of its earliest members or surviving friends, it was organized in 1811, by Rev. Joy Handy, who is spoken of as its “founder.” It is designated , “The First Hanover Baptist Church, Nashville.” Its constituent members were: Dea. Joseph Brownell and Rebecca, his wife; Dea. Salmon Munger and Charlotte, his wife; Uriah Nash and Ada, his wife; John Huntley and Polly, his wife; James B. Knapp; Darius Sayles and Anna Morehouse. Of these, Mrs. Munger, is believed to be the only survivor. The church was supplied by Rev. Joy Handy and several other ministers until the sprung of 1817. among the members was Rev. Jonathan Wilson, then a missionary in this region, who died at the age of 90, at the residence of his son, in Gerry. Rev. Elnathan Finch, who came in with his family, household goods and an ox team and sled, in February, 1817, and became pastor of this church until 1827. After several temporary supplies, Rev. Elisha Gill became pastor, and was succeeded in 1836 by Rev. James Bennett, who continued until Oct. 1839. For a short time the church had no stated preaching, after which they were supplied by licentiates, most of the time for several years. In February 1848, Wm. Williams, a licentiate, was called, and, in October, was ordained pastor, and continued until April 1850. After a few months supply by Rev. John Carter, he was succeeded by Rev. J. C. Allison, until February, 1851; and he by Rev. E. M. Nye, till February 1854. In August, 1854, Mr. Allison returned and remained until 1856. Their successors to the present time have been: H. H. Herrick, E. M. Nye, (second time:) J. C. Allison (third time:) F.E. Miller, H. H. Herrick (second time:) T. T. Horton. He closed his pastorate of five years, preaching every alternate Sabbath, in may, 1872; when he was succeeded by Rev. D. E. Burt. Their first house of worship was built in 1851, and has been several times repaired. Their church clerks have been: Miles Webster, James Knapp, Nathaniel Hopper, Silas N. Slawson, a. Vinton, John S. Bettis. Deacons: Joseph Brownell, Samuel Munger, Silas Nash, Samuel Taylor, Nathaniel Hopper, Nelson Wheaton, Caleb Roberts.
Methodist Episcopal Church of Silver Creek (1819)
A class was formed about 1819, consisting of seven members, whose names, as given from recollection, are as follows:
Liscom Mixer and wife; Norman Spink and wife ; Artemus R. Clothier
Soon after the organization, were added:
Giles Eggleston and Esther; James Wesley and wife Katherine; Emily Nevins; Leonard McDaniels and others
Among the early preachers were: Rev. Mr. Hill; Gleason Fillmore; afterwards, N. Norton, Samuel Sullivan, Thomas Cunningham, John Robinson. Later preachers were: E. H. Yingleng, Wm. P. Bignell, George W. Gray, Wm. H. Wilson; present pastor, James M. Bray. The church edifice was completed in 1848, and was improved in 1874.
Presbyterian Church at Silver Creek (1831)
The society connected with the church was formed pursuant to the “act of the legislature to provide for the incorporation of religious societies” the 8th of December 1831,at Silver Creek.
The society was entitled “The Trustees and Associates of the First Congregational Society of Silver Creek.”
The trustees elected were:
James Brace, Ephraim Hall, John Reid, David Anderson, Daniel Ramsey, and Wm. Hall.
In the absence of a minister, Daniel Ramsey and David Anderson, elders, presided at the meeting, and Wm. Hall was chosen clerk.
Baptist Church in Panama (1817)
The Baptist Church in Panama was organized May 14, 1817, and was composed of 16 Members, namely:
Simeon Powers, Timothy Jenner, Orange Phelps, Samuel Hurlbut, Oliver Pier, Israel Carpenter, Caleb Beals, and the wives of all.; and Moses Jenner and Aurilla Groom. Rev. John Lasure, Rev. Asa Turner, John Putnam, Lorenzo Hunt, Russell Babcock, Wm. Marsh and Mary Bliss, from the churches of Pomfret and Chautauqua, composed the council; Rev. J. Lasure, moderator.Timothy Jenner and David Pratt were chosen Deacons. Orange Phelps was the first church clerk. Simeon Powers was immediately chosen as pastor, and continued as such until 1828. Among those who have since ministered to the church are Palmer Cross, Peter Freeman, Charles Sanderson, and Spencer S. Ainsworth, who was ordained Nov 19, 1845. Present pastor, Alfred Wells. Among those who have served as deacons since those first elected, were Reuben Thompson, Ephraim Case, Joel Powers, Stephen Brayton, Holland Blackmar, Nathan Chamberlain. Samuel Hurlbut succeeded Orange Phelps as clerk; after the division of the church, Moses Jenner, Ebenezer Pratt, Noble Gates, Daniel G. Powers, Job Arnold, Ambrose Blackmar
and others have served as clerks.
In 1821, a difficulty arose which resulted in the exclusion of about one-half the members, which for a few years crippled the energies of the church. For several years previous to 1834, meetings were alternately held at the school houses. Panama was then made the center, and the other locations given up.
In 1835-6, they built their house of worship, which was dedicated Aug 11, 1836; the sermon by Rev. Charles Morton of Erie.
The site of this house was obtained by the liberality of members of the Presbyterian church of this village. A portion of this gift was refunded to them when building their own house of worship.
Baptist Church at Ashville (1828)
The Baptist Church of Ashville was organized in July 1828; Rev Jairus Handy officiating. A branch of the Mayville Baptist church was formed the year previous; but in the absence of records, particulars cannot be satisfactorily given. The constituent members of the present church were:
Hiram Alden, Chas. D. Slayton, James McClellan Sr. and Jr., Nathaniel H. Stow, Anson Phelps, Heber Cowden, Daniel Higley, Albert Partridge, John Wellman, John Rugg, Geo. E. Case, Peter L. Phelps, John Morton, Ephraim Case, and 17 females – in all 32.
Ephraim Case was chosen the first deacon; James McClellan, clerk. The church edifice was erected in 1831 or 1832 but not completed until a year or two years afterwards.
First Congregational Church (1830)
The First Congregational Church was organized Nov. 28, 1830, by Rev Justin Marsh, assisted by Rev Samuel Leonard and Rev. Isaac Jones, all members of Buffalo Presbytery. The church was received under the care of that Presbytery. After several years, having adopted the Presbyterian form of government and discipline, it took the name First Presbyterian Church of Panama. Among the first members were:
Orrin Matthews and wife, Asahel Clark and wife, Margaret Morgan, and others.
Others joined soon after, Mary Nichols, Benj. and Eunice D. Smith, Emeline M. Smith, Dr. Stephen Peck, Dr. Cornelius Ormes, John H. and Esther Pray, Matilda Chase, Samantha Dix, Dea. Josiah Holbrook and wife, Nehemiah Sperry and wife, Mrs. Sarah Dix, Reuben Davis and wife, Noah Harrington and wife. They had occasional preaching by Rev. Mr. Stanley, Rev. Erastus J. Gillett, Rev. Samuel G. Orton and others. The first pastor was Rev. Alfred W. Gray. He was followed by Aaron Van Wormer, Abner D. Olds, O. D. Hibbard, A. Worthington, Charles Merwin. For many years after their organization, their place of worship was in the tannery, which had been fitted up for that purpose. A new church edifice was erected in 1846. Rev Chalon Burgess, the present pastor, has served the church as such since 1861.
Methodist Episcopal Church, Blockville (1818)
The Methodist Episcopal Church at Blockville is said to have originated in a class formed as early as the year 1818. An early settler thinks John Lewis, Isaac Carpenter, John Pember, and their wives ; Daniel B. Carpenter, Joseph S. Pember, and Mrs. Elijah Terry, were the first members of the class. Another mentions also John Steward Sr., and Almond Lewis and their wives; and soon after, Phineas Stevens, David Preston, and Martin Hobert and their wives, and Henry Crane. The first local preacher was John Lewis; the first circuit preacher, John Somerville, who was succeeded by Wm. Green. The first church edifice of this society was dedicated in January, 1840.
Free-will Baptist Church of Harmony (1830)
The Free- will Baptist Church of Harmony was organized at the house of Nathaniel Clark, at King’s Corners, Dec. 4, 1830; Elders Harmon Jenkins, and Thomas Grinold, officiating. The number of members constituting The church was 23. They were Timothy Walkley, David Lucas, Nathaniel Clark, David Clark, James Alexander, Asa Wait, Ebenezer Thayer, Samuel Reed, Phineas Chamberlain, and the wives of most or all of them ; Isaac Phelps, Freeman Williams, Sarah Burnham, Rhoda Keith, and Pamelia Baldwin. Asa Wait was chosen as clerk, and was succeeded Jan 1833, by Aaron Baldwin. The first deacon named was David Lucas, chosen Jan 1834, and held the office until his death, Sept. 4, 1872. In 1867, Daniel Ellis was elected second deacon. The ministers who statedly supplied the church for longer or shorter periods were Thomas Grinold, J. Sm-------, J. Cowles, F. B. Tanner.
After 1859, [the year not given] the church was moved about 4 miles south, on the town line, and took the name of Clymer and Harmony Church. Since the removal, the church has been supplied by Elders Arad Losee, (commencing 1863) Oliver Johnson, Ansel Griffith, Arad Losee, a second time,  Wm. Johnson, Joshua Giffin, Joseph Kettle. Present pastor, Ansel Griffith. A house of worship was built, in 1868, by the Baptists and Methodists, jointly.
South Harmony Free-will Baptist Church (1855)
The South Harmony Free-will Baptist Church was organized Nov. 5, 1855, at the Cherry school-house. The names of the original members are Erastus Huntley, Joseph Carroll, Aaron Cornish, Elisha Morgan, Levi Rexford, Hannah Tillotson, Mary Mather, Sarah Maria Cornish, Patience Smith, Catharine Siggins, Theodosia Wellman. Erastus Huntley was the first clerk. The first pastor was Levi Rexford, who has been succeeded by A. Losee, W. H. Cuttler, D. S. Fowler, Oliver Johnson, Joseph Kettle, and the present pastor G. H. Chappell. This church and society, two years ago built a fine house of worship, in which meetings are regularly held. Present clerk, Charles Huntley.
First Congregational Church of Kiantone (1815)
The First Congregational Church of Kiantone was organized in 1815, as the First Church of Ellicott, about a year earlier than the Congregational Church of Jamestown. After the town of Carroll was formed from Ellicott in 1825, the church being within the new town, it was called the Congregational Church of Carroll ; and since the erection of Kiantone from Carroll in 1853, the church has been known as the Congregational Church of Kiantone. It was organized by Rev. John Spencer, with 5 male and 5 female members: Asa Moore, Samuel Garfield, Levi Jones, and their wives; John Jones, Anna, wife of Ebenezer Cheney, Mrs Wheeler, wife of Josiah Wheeler, and William Deland. The first deacon was John Jones. Those who have since been chosen to that office are: Asa Moore, James Carey, John C. Jones, Eleazar Fellows, Ebenezer Chaplin, 1852.. [the list is furnished to no later date.] For several years after its formation, the church had occasional preaching in dwellings and school-houses, by John Spencer.
The church has since been supplied by Amasa West, Samuel Leonard, 1828; Isaac Eddy, 1829; Simeon Peek, 1834; Joseph S. Emory, (installed 1835;) O. D. Hibbard, 1841; S.W. Edson, T.A. Gale, E. M. Spencer, W. T. Reynolds, N. H. Barnes, W. A. Halleck. In 1830, a meeting house was built on a site given the society by widow Sears. Meetings were held, first in private dwellings, and afterwards in school-houses.
First Christian Society of Universalists in Carroll (1853)
The First Christian Society of Universalists in Carroll was formed at the present village of Kiantone, Dec. 30, 1853; Rufus Greene, moderator of the meeting; Levi Davis, secretary. Charles Spencer, Isaac Eames, and Julius Alvord were elected trustees; Charles Brown, treasurer. The constitution and by-laws of the society were subscribed by about twenty-five persons. A meeting-house was built in 1845. A church was organized Nov 26, 1853. A constitution, articles of faith, and form of church covenant were adopted and were signed by Rev. F. M. Alvord, Pastor; N. A. Alexander, Horatio N. Thornton, stewards; Joseph Case, Arthur B. Braley, Oliver G. Chase, Caroline Wheaton, Eunice N. Thornton, Mary S. Thornton. H. N. Thornton was chosen Clerk.
Methodist Episcopal Church and Society, Mina Corners (1858)
The Methodist Episcopal Church and Society at Mina Corners was formed in 1858. It was legally constituted at a meeting held on the 18th of May. Rev Orville L. Mead and Isaac ______ presiding. Alexander D Holdridge, Wm. Baker, and Nahum N. Grimes, were elected trustees of the society. Among the first members of the church were: Thomas R. Coveny, David Frits and wife, Alexander D. Holdridge and wife, Wm. Baker, Charity Chase, Lucy Holdridge, Jane Tyron, Lucinda Relf, Betsey Baker, Melissa Holdridge, David Declow, and wife. Rev. Orville L Mead is said to have been the first preacher in charge; his successors; Wm. Deer, C. R. Chapman, J. W. Hill, A. L. Kellogg, R. D. Waltz, J. K. Mendenhall, Joseph Allen, L. E. Beardsley, and A. Bashline, present preacher.
Methodist Episcopal Church, West Mina (1858)
The Methodist Episcopal Church at West Mina was formed about the same time as that at Mina Corners. Among the first members were: Urial Fenton, Azan Fenton, John Skellie, Alexander Skellie, Henry F. Moore, James F. Moore, and the wives of all of these. The preachers were presumed to have been about the same as those at the Corners.
American Reformed Church (1856)
The American Reformed Church [Dutch] was formed December 19, 1856. Among the first members were:
Lorenzo Buck, George Hammer, Adam Hemelin, John George Barringer, Adam Merket, _____ Ebert, and their wives, and Margaret R. Pfifer. Their first pastor was Rev. J. W. Dunewald. Later ministers, G. J. Renskers, Jacob Weber.
First Baptist Church of Kennedy (1837)
Organized with 22 members, Jan 30, 1836 Their house of worship was erected in 1868.
The first Pastor, was Rev. B. BRAMAN the present one, (1873) is Rev. H.A. CONRAD
[Supplement] The Baptist Church at Kennedy was organized
in 1837. A meeting of the brethren and sisters ahd been held at the
house of S. Akerley, Jan. 30, 1836 to consult in regard to the organization
of a Baptist Church, chich they resolved to do. I. Gifford, S. Akerley,
and John Miller were appointed a committee to draft articles and a covenant,
and to make arrangements to secure preaching. On the 29th of June,
1837, a council met at the house of S. Akerley; the articles and covenant
being satisfactory, the church was organized. The names of those who
are supposed to have united at the time are Samuel Akerley, Isaac Gifford,
Asa and John Miller, Nancy and Amanda Akerley, Elizabeth and Sally Miller,
Ezekial Randall, John C. Cady, Ephraim Sawyer, Roxa L. Gifford, Sally Porter,
Sylvia Holbrook, and Laura Ann Foote -- 15 members. Early ministers
were B. Braman, B.C. Willoughby, David Morse. Meetings were held at
private residences and school-houses. The society was organized under
the statute in 1853, but by neglect it was permitted to lose its legal existence,
and was reorganized in 1868, in which year the church edifice was erected.
Poland Free Church at Kennedy (1857)
Organized about the year 1857 and the church edifice was erected the same year
No other data.
Levant Wesleyan (Methodist) Church (????)
West part of the town of Poland, was organized, (date not known) by Rev. Emory JONES, the first pastor;
The meeting house was erected in 1872, Ministers in 1873 were Daniel BALL and Emory JONES
LEVANT WESLEYAN CHURCH 716-665-4402
1670 LINDQUIST DRIVE, FALCONER NY 14733
The Freewill Baptists have an organization at Kennedy,
which is said to be a branch of the Ellington Free-will Baptist church. Also
the Episcopal Methodists and Protestant Methodists have each a class and
Baptist Church at Fredonia (1808)
The Baptist Church at Fredonia dates its organization Oct. 20, 1808, and is believed to be the second church organized in the county; the Presbyterian church at Cross Roads, [now Westfield,] being the only one claiming an earlier date. As early, however, as Nov., 1805, Zattu Cushing and a few other Baptists, “five brethren and four sisters,” as the record says, “thought proper to meet on Lord’s days, to recommend the cause of Christ, and confirm each other in the faith.” These nine persons are supposed to have been Zattu Cushing, Wm. Gould, John Van Tassel, Benjamin Barrett, Eliphalet Burnham, Rachel Cushing, Rhoda Burnham, Sophia Williams, and Silence Barto. March 14, 1807, they entered into covenant, and to hold regular monthly meetings. In the winter following, Elder Joy Handy, from Brook-field, Madison Co., settled at the mouth of Canadaway creek, and a year or two after, removed to the “Canadaway settlement,” now Fredonia, on the lot afterwards the residence of Dr. Squire White. Sept. 8, 1808, articles of faith and a covenant were adopted; and Oct. 20, 1808, a council of ministers, called for that purpose, met at Mr. Cushing’s, where the brethren and sisters were examined and received into fellowship—16 in number. Passing over a period of five years, during which the records are defective, we find that on Nov. 9, 1813, Judge Cushing was chosen deacon. In 1816, Ebenezer Webster was elected to that office, and Judge Cushing licensed to preach. In December, 1816, Elijah Devine was elected deacon, and in April, 1821, Nathaniel Crosby. In August, 1822, Rev. Elisha Tucker was called to be the third pastor, who visited eastern cities to solicit money to finish the old meeting-house—the old frame edifice—the first, it is believed, that was built in the county. The present brick church was built on the same site about the year 1851 or ‘52. In June, 1829, a portion of this church was set off, and organized at Laona, as the “Second Baptist Church in Pomfret.” This is now extinct. In 1830, a portion of it formed the Dunkirk Baptist church. In 1839, a division occurred in relation to their pastor, John F. Bishop. In Feb., 1848, the churches were reunited. Rev. Joy Handy was the principal supply from 1808 to 1822; Jirah Cole to 1836; Beriah N. Leach to 1838; then John Bishop about one year, when the division took place. He continued pastor of one division several years, though he resigned as pastor in 1840; but his resignation was not accepted by that division. He afterward left, and was succeeded by S. P. Way and Bliss C. Willoughby until the reunion in 1848. Pastors of the other division: A. C. Barrell, Judah L. Richmond, Alfred Handy, and Ebenezer Loomis. Both organizations claimed to be the First Baptist Church of Pomfret. After the reunion, Ebenezer Webster, John Hamilton, and Joel R. Parker were elected deacons. Ministers since the reunion have been A. Kingsbury, Charles N. Chandler, Alonzo Wheelock, George G. Downey, A. C. Barrell, Howard M. Jones, Charles Thompson. The present brick church edifice was dedicated July 7, 1853.
Methodist Episcopal Church of Fredonia (1818)
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Fredonia was organized about the year 1818. The first class consisted of Jeremiah Baldwin and his wife, Daniel Gould and his wife, Otis Ensign and wife, and others whose names can not be found. Among the early ministers were Francis Dighton, Darius Williams, J. Keys, and Wilder B. Moak. Among the later ministers were E. H. Yingling, D.S. Steadman, J.H. Tagg, A.N. Craft, R.F. Randolph, and the present, James M. Bray. The first Church edifice was erected, and dedicated in 1820. The present is a first-class house, and, in its appurtenances, cost about $30,000.
Presbyterian Church of Fredonia (1820)
The Presbyterian Church of Fredonia was organized Sept. 29, 1820; Rev. John Spencer, a missionary, being present and officiating, and preaching a sermon. The church was formed as Congregational, but a few years afterward, adopted the Presbyterian form of government. Mr. Spencer preached to the church and congregation a portion of the time until January, 1817. The names of the persons who constituted the church at the time of its organization, are the following: Benj. Barnes, Isaac Barnes, Norman Goodwin, Mark Stacy, Hannah Loomis, Lucina Goodwin, Ruth Barnes, Israel Loomis, Samuel Marsh, Asa French, Phebe Risley, Persis Chadwick, Mrs. Lydia Goulding, who was admitted Jan. 27, 1811, is still living, [1874.] Her husband, Timothy Goulding, died in Sheridan in 1873, at the advanced age of 91 years. From 1811 to 1814, inclusive, only 12 were added, of whom 6 were of the name of Lovejoy. In 1816, Joseph Plumb, and in 1821 his brother Ralph, united. [These brothers are noticed elsewhere.] Until about 1824, this church included all Presbyterians residing in Dunkirk, among whom were Sarah, wife of Dr. Williams; Lucy, wife of Daniel G. Garnsey, and others. For many years, meetings were held in school-houses and such other rooms as could be obtained. In December, 1819, the society was formed under the statute. It was voted by the meeting that there be nine trustees; but the first vote on the record is declared to be the election of Gilbert Douglas to supply the place of Joseph Rood. Six others were then elected: John Crane, Benjamin Douglas, Henry Abell, Thomas G. Abell, Solomon Hinkley, Harvey Durkee. Other early trustees were Joseph Plumb, Jacob Houghton, James Sage, Isaac A. Lovejoy, Samuel Marsh, Elisha Shepard. Samuel Sweezy was installed pastor, March 13, 1817; Wm. Page, Sept., 1823; dismissed, Aug. 1826; Wm. Bradley, installed Jan., 1834; dismissed Nov., 1837; Sylvester Cowles, installed Feb., 1839; dismissed 1840. The following also have been pastors: David D. Gregory, Stephen
M. Hopkins, Augustus Pomeroy, Sabin McKinney, Daniel Clarke, (6 yrs.,) Edwin S. Wright, (14 years,) A. L Benton, present pastor. The congregation has also been supplied for short periods of time by Jos. W. McMaster, Abiel Parmele, R. Rudd, and others. Feb. 17, 1835, it was voted to build a meeting-house, 52 by 56 feet, and to be three years in building; and that the site be on the hill, nearly opposite James Mullett’s, unless, etc. Payments for the pew ground, Jan. 1, 1821, 1822, and 1823, 5 per cent, in cash, and the residue in produce. The site decided upon was the half acre nearly opposite James Mullett’s.
Trinity Church at Fredonia (1822)
Trinity Church, at Fredonia, was organized August 1, 1822, Elijah Risley presiding at the meeting. The name and style of the organization was “The Rector, Church Wardens, and Vestrymen of Trity Church at Fredonia.” Michael Hinman and Watts Wilson were elected church wardens; Jonathan Sprague, Abiram Orton, Joseph Rood, Abraham Van Santvoord, Benjamin Douglass, Nathan Hempsted, and Joseph G. Henman, were elected vestry-men. The church was received into union with the convention of the Protestant Church of the state of New York, October 15, 1822. Rev. David Brown became pastor of the church, in March, 1823. In April, 1823, Michael Hinman and Watts Wilson were chosen church wardens; Israel Smith, Joseph Rood, Elijah Risley, Jonathan Sprague, Joseph Skinner, Jacob Hempsted, and Benjamin Douglass, were elected vestrymen; Jacob Houghton was chosen secretary of the vestry; Jonathan Sprague, treasurer. In June, 1833, a committee was appointed; and a church edifice was completed, and ready for consecration, early in 1835. Present rector, W. O. Jarvis.
First Protestant Methodist Church of Fredonia (1859)
The First Protestant Methodist Church of Fredonia was organized, July 3, 1859, at a meeting of Methodists in favor of a representative form of government; Oren C. Payne, of the Genesee Conference, present and officiating. Names of the first members were Philemon and Chloe Studley, Merit and Elizabeth Waller, Lucius L. and Eunice Woodworth, Esquire S. Woodworth, Samuel and Philena Mills, Smith S. and Elizabeth Wilber, Charles Pettit, Jane Williams, Almon and Emma Smith; Lyman C. Marsh. First class leader, Almon Smith; stewards, L. C. Marsh, L L. Woodworth. The society was organized pursuant to the general statute, Feb. 1, 1860; Almon Smith, chairman; O. C. Payne, secretary. The trustees elected were Lucius L. Woodworth, Almon Smith, Philemon Studley, Lyman C. Marsh, Merit Wailer. Rev. Oren C. Payne has been the regular pastor of this church from its organization till the present time, [1873,] with the exception of one year, when he was president of the Genesee Conference, during which year the church was served by Rev. Isaac Fister, M. D. In 1861—2, Rev. Isaac Cole, and during the year ending Sept. 25, 1871, Rev. A. H. Marsh, were associated, as pastors, with Mr. Payne.
Baptist Church at Laona (1829)
The Baptist Church at Laona was organized in June, 1829. Among its active members were Seth and Wm. Higgins, Joseph Davis, Azariah Gardner, and Daniel Saunders. A meeting-house was erected in 1835; but the society was feeble and soon dwindled away. Its place of worship went to decay; and the ground it occupied is now a portion of the village cemetery.
A meeting-house was erected at Laona, in 1839, by a society of Christians. Its prominent members were Nathan Hatch, Justus Harrington, and Barzillai Ellis. The society soon became insolvent; and its house was sold at a mortgage sale to Barzillai Ellis. It was afterwards owned occasionally by Justus Harrington and Levi Baldwin, and by the latter transferred to a society of Spiritualists, and is now under its control. Among their prominent members are George Rood, Alanson C. Straight, and Levi Cowden.
First Congregational Church, Portland (1810)
Origin and early History of the First Congregational Church of Portland, New York. 1810. In 1810 the first preaching service in Portland was held in the tavern of Capt. James DUNN on the well known DUNN farm, afterward owned by John DUDLEY and now by Carl RYON, This farm is just east of the cemetery. The Preacher, the Rev John SPENCER, discovered from the text ; " For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" His audience was very small, not numbering more than 6 persons besides the DUNN family. Rev. Spencer and other travelling ministers continued to hold occasional preaching services in this settlement known as CENTERVILLE. Now PORTLAND, [ Chautauqua Co.], until in 1814 regular services were conducted by Mr. Amassa WEST, a teacher at the ancient Crossroads, Now Westfield, NY, On January 31 1818, at the log house of John CHURCHILL, [lot #38 T 5] Rev John Spencer organized the First Congregational Church of Portland which was the first organized church in the Township.
The 18 Original Charter members in 1818 were:
The Rev John SPENCER, the founder of this church, was sent to the Holland Purchase by the general Association of Connecticut. His labors at first were confined to the Main Road, from Batavia To Buffalo, and thence to Westfield, but as new settlements were formed off the main road, he was sure to visit them too, going as far south as Olean. As a consequence of this large territory, the individual churches could not have had many visits from him, as riding horseback, was his only mode of conveyance. He always preached a sermon and administered the sacrament at each visit.
(This above sent to me by letter from the current Pastor of this church from his records )
The "First Congregational Church of Portland" was formed January 31, 1818 at the house of John CHURCHILL, Rev. John SPENCER officiating. The original members were John HOUSE, Wm,COUCH, Augustine KLUMPH, Jabez HURLBURT, David EATON, John CHURCHILL, Sylvester CHURCHILL, Zachariah H PRICE, Joanna HOUSE, Abigail COUCH, Wilson ANDREWS, Andrew KELSEY, Frederick COUCH, Mary EATON, Mercy EATON, Louisa HURLBURT, Keziah ANDREWS, Nancy McCLINTOCK, 18. For about 2 years only occasional preaching and the administration of sacraments by Mr. SPENCER were enjoyed. From 1820 Rev. Phineas CAMP, a preacher at Westfield, and his successor Rev. Isaac OAKS, divided their time with the Portland Church, preaching once in 3-4 weeks at the latter place. The number of members had increased to 38 in 1823 and at a later period to 52. At about this time , a declension commenced, which continued until the church had become virtually extinct; some members having united with the Westfield church, others having entirely lost their church connection. The society in connection with this church was formed pursuant to the statute of June 24, 1822, and was styled
"The First Congregational Society of the Town of Portland"
The first trustees were
Frederick COUCH, Wilson ANDREWS, and Wilder EMERSON
On the 3rd of March, 1833 the church was re- organized by Rev. David D. GREGORY and Rev. Timothy STILLMAN
Members of the new orgainzation were;
from the Presbyterian Church of Fredonia
>From the Presbyterian Church of Westfield
Nathan G. JONES
and Mary EATON of the old Church
Dana CHURCHILL and Minerva CHURCHILL formerly members of distant churches
Dana CHURCHILL and Alvin COOK chosen Deacons
Charles GOULD, Clerk
The new "Congregational Society" required by the statute of 1813 was formed April 30, 1833
First Presbyterian Church, Ripley (1818)
The "First Presbyterian Church" of Ripley, Chautauqua Co. NY was organized Nov 2,1818, at a meeting in the school-house near John POST'S , about 60 rods east of the old meeting house, the Reverend Phineas CAMP presiding. The church was composed chiefly of members of the church at the 'Cross Roads' (now Westfield). The male members were
Oliver STETSON Jr.
JOhn B. DENSMORE
the number of females was about the same, many being wives of the men named above; Joel LOOMIS, James DICKSON, James McMAHON and Alexander COCHRAN were chosen elders; only the first 2 were chosen and ordained. The records do not show the services of a stated minister before October, 1824, when each of the churches of Ripley, and North East PA, engaged the labors of Rev. Giles DOOLITTLE 1/2 the time at a salary of $200 payable half in cash, half in grain at cash price. Mr. DOOLITTLE was ordained and installed as pastor of the 2 congregations, April 15, 1825. At his own request, his pastoral relation with the church at Ripley was disolved in April 1830. Among later ministers were Rev. John B. PRESTON. The name of Rev. Samuel G. ORTON appears on the records of the sessions as early as July 1837, and his pastorate continued until 1853, he was succeeded by Rev. William WAITH whose labors were terminated by his death in 1863. The church was subsequently supplied by Rev. Sylvanus WARREN for 2 years, and by Rev. William L. HYDE for 5 years. A meeting house in an unfinished state, was destroyed by lightning, July 30, 1828. Another was soon erected in its place, and is still standing. In 1854 a division of the society took place; and the western members built the present brick house in Quincy.In 1871 the churches were reunited under the name of "First Presbyterian Church and Congregation of Ripley" In October 1870 Rev. Edwin S. WRIGHT commenced his pastorate which still continues (1875)
Methodist Episcopal Church, Ripley (1811)
Formed at an early period, but the year of its organization is probably not known by any person now living in town (1875)
About the year 1811, it is thought, that the first class was formed. Among the members of this class were;
Andrew SPEAR and his wife,
Farley FULLER and wife
Basil BURGESS and wife
Within a few years after, the following named persons became members;
Adolphus and Henry WALRADT
Dolly, Rebecca and Mary WALRADT,
Silas and Hannah BAIRD.
Of the earliest members of this church yet living, (1874) were Reuben PECK and Calista PECK Who the earliest preachers were cannot be stated with certainty. This part of Chautauqua Co NY was early in the Erie circuit, which was in 1811 in the Monongahela district. Jacob GRUDER was the presiding Elder. and James WATTS, and James EWING, circuit preachers. The next year, 1812, Erie circuit, was in Ohio district; Jacob YOUNG was presiding Elder; James WATTS and Jacob GORWELL preachers; For several years after, preachers on the Erie circuit were;
Abel ROBINSON 1813
John SOLOMON and John GRAHAM 1814
Robert C. HATTON 1815-16
In 1817 James B. FINLEY, presiding elder,
John P. KENT and Ira EDDY preachers.
A meeting house was erected in 1839, and completed and dedicated 2 or 3 years afterward; dedicatory sermon by Rev. James E. CHAPIN. A new and beautiful brick house was erected a few rods east of the other in 1873, at a cost of about $13,000. Dedicated in April 1874. Sermon by Rev. Benoni I. IVES D.D. of Auburn.
Baptist Church, Ripley (????)
A Baptist church was formed at a comparatively early day , about 3 miles south of Quincy,(Ripley) and a house of worship erected. Some of its members residing at a remote and inconvenient distance, and others having removed from that part of town, the organization is believed to have hardly maintained its former strength and efficiency.
First Presbyterian Church, Sherman (1827)
The First Presbyterian Church of Sherman was orgainzed June 23, 1827 as the first Congregational Church of Mina. Most of the original members were from the Congregational church of Farmington CT.
Hiram N. GLEASON
Betsey W. HALL
H. GLEASON and
United on profession of faith. The church was organized by Rev. Miles P. SQUIER (*as spelled) and Rev Amasa WEST, and united with the presbytery of Buffalo. Rev. Justin MARSH from CT was its first minister, installed October 1828. The church was largely helped by the CT Missionary Society. A church edifice was built on land given to the society by Charles HAWLEY near Keeler's Corners, on Presbyterian Hill, and was dedicated March 7, 1833. Sermon by Rev. D.D. GREGORY. The house was taken down and moved to Sherman village in the fall of 1845; and in 1856 it was enlarged and repaired. In the spring of 1871 the church adopted the Presbyterian form of government and was connected with Presbytery. The first pastor was; Justin MARSH from Oct 1828 to Aug. 1831. Those who have since served as pastors and stated supplies were;
Oliver N. CHAPIN
William T. REYNOLDS
Henry M. HAZELTINE
John F. SEVERANCE
William L. HYDE
Present Pastor, (1874) S.N. ROBINSON,
Elders, E.C. HART, J.M.CALHOUN, H.L. KENDRICK
Congregational Church, Stockton (1815)
Formed by the missionary, John SPENCER, said by some to have been as early as 1815; perhaps earlier; consisting of 9 members, 3 males 6 females, but the names of all are not remembered; among them believed to be Ichabod FISHER, his wife, and his mother;
This Church, some years later, about 1830 adopted the Presbyterian form of government and subsequently about 1840, changed back to the Congregational form. A meeting house, having been built, designed for the Christian Church, and not taken after its completion, the proprietor sold it to the Congregational Society, On the union of this society with the Methodist church, the house of worship was conveyed to the latter about 1857-58. Early ministers of the Congregational and Presbyterian Church were
Obadiah C. BEARDSLEY
Baptist Church, Delanti (1812)
Soon after the War of 1812, several families of Baptists, or of persons favorable to that denomination, settled in the valley of Bear Creek.
Among those families were those of:
and John MITCHELL.
Early in the winter of 1815-16, Reverend John SPENCER, a Congregational missionary is said to have appointed a meeting on a sabbath; and stated meetings were immediately thereafter commenced. We are not informed if Mr SPENCER continued with them as a preacher, probably he did not, as we read the meetings were led by by Samuel CRISSEY, Benjamin MILLER and Gould CRISSEY, sermons read by Ethan COOLEY and Horace THOMPSON. Singing was performed by the congregation, without notes. On the 12th of March, 1817, the hand of fellowship was given to 7 brethren and sisters as the "Third Baptist Church in Chautauqua" Their names were;
The ministers present were, Joy HANDY and Asa TURNER. The number of members increased in the first year to 18 .They were supplied in part by Elder, Ebenezer SMITH, then 84 years old. He lived to be nearly 90. The names of the ministers who have been called to the pastorate of this church are;
Elisha GILL, 1823
Washington WINSOR, 1827
Isaac SAWYER, 1834
Oren WITHERELL, 1835
Sardis LITTLE, 1837
Judah L. RICHMOND, 1840
S.P. WAY 1845
Arah IRONS, 1849
B.C. WILLOUGHBY, 1851
Elder HOWARD, 1854
J. ELLIOTT, 1857
A. KINGSBURY, 1859
A.L. FREEMAN, 1861
L.J. FISHER, 1864
Samuel ADSIT 18??
Many have also rendered efficient services as temporary supplies, among whom are;
The deaconship has been held by
A meeting house was built in 1832
(** Note, Rev.Joy Handy,was the first minister of the First Baptist Church in Fredonia, NY. His bible/ marriage records online http://www.rootsweb.com/~nychauta/CHURCH/Handy.htm )
Christian Church at Delanti (later Stockton) (1825)
Reverend Joseph BAILEY officiating.
The members at the time of organization, or soon after;
and their wives;
Mrs. Belinda PORTER
Warren COE and wife
Joseph BAILEY, Oliver BARR, George BAILEY, Edward MOSHER, ?? BUZZEL
Meetings were held in a school house, and discontinued in 1863
Methodist Church at Oregon, Town of Stockton (1840)
In the absence of early records, the following sketch is given from memory by persons residing there at the time of its formation; Reverend John WOOD formed a class, consisting of Mary Ann FLAGG, Abraham VanWIRT, and wife, Mrs. Charlotte PICKET, Laura Ann WILDER, Rebecca NEWTON, and perhaps others. Abraham VanWIRT was the class leader.
Early preachers were;
Rev. Mr. BARRIS
Orsamus P. BROWN
the present (1873 ) teacher, Rev. M. SMITH.
Meetings were held for many years in a school house, their present meeting house built in 1866
Methodist Church, Stockton (1828)
A Methodist Church was formed in the west part of the town of Stockton, about 1828-29 or as some think, a few years earlier. Among the members of the first class were
and their wives, ( as stated from recollections, there being no records to refer to) and soon after, the following
Absalom JOHNSON and their wives,
Sarah Ann BROWN.
Among the early preachers were;
Francis A. DIGHTON,
As has been stated, the Congregational church gave up its organization, and its members joined the Methodists; and the united society became possessed of the present house of worship; previously owned by the Congregationalists. Later ministers of the Methodist church have been:
Ralph R. ROBERTS
Rufus PRATT(* Rev . Rufus PRATT d 8/31/1883
aged 76-3-24 Reverend Rufus Pratt was pastor in Stockton, 1860-1861. He was well liked, although his strong political tendencies made him unpopular with the Republicans and "War Democrats." His son Thomas Pratt, was one of the School Commissioners in Chautauqua County. Buried at Stedman Cemetery, Chautauqua Co NY Source/ My PRATT files (Dee)
George W. GRAY
David MIZENER (or Misener)
Francis A. ARCHIBALD
Cassadaga Baptist Church, Town of Stockton (1843)
The Cassadaga Baptist Church, was organized with 37 members May 8, 1843. Their first house of worship was built in 1835. It was repaired and matrially improved in 1869. The first pastor was Rev. Elisha JOHNSON, the present one, (1874) Rev. A. KINGSBURY. No further data.
Union Church, Pleasant Valley (1862)
Stockton, UNION CHURCH, (United Brethren in Christ) at Pleasant Valley, was organized with 19 members in 1862 by Rev. Joseph HOYT, the first pator. The church edifice was erected in 1871. No other data.
Methodist Episcopal Church at Hamlet, Villenova (1823)
Originated in the formation of a class, December, 23, 1823 by Elder, Daniel PROSSER.
The class consisted of;
Obadiah WARNER and his wife Rebecca (NUNN)
Taylor JUDD, Polly JUDD (since, the wife of Edmund WRIGHT)
Lewis BARMORE, Maria, His sister,
Diademia WARNER, Lura NUNN, Polly BAKER,Hiram KINGSLEY, Milton FOOT and his wife Lois, and Brinty CONGDON, and perhaps others;
A class had been previously formed at Wright's Corner's which was merged into the society of Hamlet;
Among the early circuit preachers were;
?? AYRES. Their meetings were first held in dwellings and barns. Their present (1874) house of worship built in 1836.
Present Minister, Rev. Mr. CLARKE (1874)
First Freewill Baptist Church of Villenova
The First Freewill Baptist Church of Villenova was organized in 1828, by Amos C. Andros, with nine members: Lyman Town; ___ King, Enos Brunson, ___ Badger, and their wives, and one not named. The first pastor was Thomas Grinnnell. The present house of worship was built in 1839, and dedicated in 1840. Four ministers have been ordained from this church: Osha Crawford, brother of Lavina Crawford, missionary to India; Washington Shepard, Thomas Main, and Henry Blackmar; all of whom expect Main and Crawford, are yet living. The present pastor is Rev. Washington Shepard.
Presbyterian Church of Westfield (1808)
The Presbyterian Church of Westfield was formed in 1808, the Rev. John Lindsley, a missionary, officiating on the occasion. This was the first organized church in the county. It was called the Chautauqua Church, being then in the town of Chautauqua, which included the western part of the county; Pomfret having been formed in March of the same year and embracing the remainder of the county. The church was attached to the Presbytery of Erie. Its early records having been lost, little of its early history can be obtained. It seems to have begun early to decline, and continued to decline, until it had little more than a nominal existence. It appears, however, that, in 1817, efforts were made for its revival. On the 25th of June, was formed, in pursuance of a general law of the state, the “First Presbyterian Society in the 4th township, 14th range, in the County of Chautauqua.” Eber Stone, James Montgomery, Nathaniel Bird, David Higgins, William M. Riddell, and Jonathan Harmon were elected trustees; Jonathan Cass, clerk; Calvin E. Macomber, treasurer; Fenn Deming, collector. The members resided in Portland and Ripley. On the 7th of November, 1817, a new organization of the church was effected. There was probably no longer a regular session; for we find in the minutes, that “a session was formed, consisting of Rev. Johnston Eaton, Rev. Phineas Camp, James Montgomery, and Thomas Robinson.” In their minutes they refer to the previous condition of the church, as having been “but poorly and irregularly supplied with preaching,” and “become worse than extinct,” and add: “God having lately, in a remarkable manner, revived his work within its bounds, it was deemed expedient to examine into its state, and if found to have a real existence, to correct and restore its discipline.” The following is copied from its minutes: “Having endeavored, after much deliberation on the subject, to correct its disorders in part, and rebuild the Presbyterian Church in this place, we resolved to consider as united in church fellowship, the following original members, they having been previously examined: James Montgomery, Sarah Montgomery, Sarah McMahan, Eleanor Bell, Charlotte Parker, Anna Andrews. Thirteen additional members were then admitted on examination and certificate, namely: Martha Royce, Harriet Peck, Joel Loomis, Jennet Stetson, Alexander Lowry, Judith Talcott, Eber Stone, Betsey Stone, John Fay, John Gibson, Eleanor Gibson, Hannah Bird. Twentyfour others were admitted on examination only. A meeting-house was built in 1821 or 1822, on South Portage street, near the site of the present residence of Alfred Patterson. It was subsequently sold for a dwelling and removed to Pearl street, near the residence of George W. Holt, its present owner. The second church edifice was a brick structure on the site of the present one; was erected in 1832, and burned in April, 1872. The present church building was commenced in June, 1873, and completed in October, 1874, at a cost of $35,000. The trustees of the society at the time of its erection, were Thomas D. Strong, Joseph H. Plumb, Henry C. Kingsbury, James Johnston, Reuben G. Wright, and George W. Patterson. The trustees of the society, at the time of its organization, June 23, 1817, were James Montgomery, Eber Stone, Nathaniel Bird, David Higgins, Wm. M. Riddle, and Jonathan Harmon. The settled ministers of the church, since its reorganization in 1817, were Phinehas Camp, Isaac Oakes, David D. Gregory, Timothy M. Hopkins, Reuben Tinker, Charles F. Mussey, James P. Fisher, R. S. Van Cleve, Sanford H. Smith, and Rufus S. Green, the present pastor.
Baptist Church of Portland (1825)
The Baptist Church had its origin in a “Branch,” so called, of the Baptist Church of Portland. On the 16th of Sept., 1825, the members residing at and in the vicinity of the Cross Roads, organized a “Branch of the Church of Portland.” It had the privilege of receiving and dismissing members, and of exercising discipline, except in cases of great moment. At this meeting, Joshua Tinker was chosen a deacon, and Joshua Tinker, Jr., clerk. Among the members who united at the organization, were Joshua, Joshua, Jr., and Henry F. Tinker, Harriet Tinker, Sally Sexton, and soon after, David and Persis Hall, and others. Charles La Hatt, minister of the church of Portland, presided at the meeting, and was for many years minister of both the branch and the parent church. With a view to the organization of an independent church, members of the branch, April 17, 1831, asked for a dismission from the parent church, and the request was granted. And on the 10th of May, 1831, a council of delegates from neighboring churches declared it expedient to receive the new church into fellowship. Those who joined in the request were Joshua Tinker and Joshua, Jr., Andrew Cole, Benj. Jordan, Gideon Peck, Abraham Burrows, Jonathan Brown, David Hall, Hazel Tupper, Wm. A. and Calvin F. Webster, Sheldon Palmer, Midwell Leach, Elias Mallory, Br. Vredenburg, with the wives of some of them, and several other females—in all, about 30. The Branch held meetings for a time in the school-house in North Portage street; afterwards hired a room in McClurg’s block, till a meeting-house was built. The house was repaired and enlarged in 1867. Ministers who have supplied the church since La Hatt, were Elders Blakesley, Boyington, Pixley, Rathbun, Keyes, Mills, Mallory, Drake, Lyman Fisher, H. S. Westgate, and W. Dunbar, present pastor.
The organization of the First Baptist Society under the general statute of the state, was not effected till January, 1855. The first trustees elected were John Wilson, John R. Walker, and Austin Smith.
Episcopal Church and Society of Westfield (1830)
The Episcopal Church and Society of Westfield was incorporated in pursuance of the general law of the legislature. The certificate of incorporation is dated Jan. 28, 1830. The title of the society is, “The Rector, Church Wardens, and Vestrymen of St. Peter’s Church in the town of Westfield.” At the first election of officers, Burban Brockway and Jonathan Cass were elected church wardens, and Thomas B. Campbell, David Eason, Daniel Rockwell, Harwon Patchin, Norman Kibbe, Joseph White, Jr., Canton Jones, and John McWhorter, vestrymen. Rufus Murray, rector, presided at the meeting. In August, 1831, by a vote of the society, the building of a church edifice was authorized; and Norman Kibbe, Augustin U. Baldwin, and Daniel Rockwell were chosen a building committee. At a meeting of the wardens and vestrymen, March 20, 1832, the building committee were instructed to proceed to the erection of a church. The house was consecrated by Bishop Benjamin T. Onderdonk, Aug. 22, 1833. The first list of names of communicants on the record contains the following; but that they all became such at the time of organization, does not appear: Burban Brockway, Augustin U. Baldwin, Daniel Rockwell, and their wives, Mrs. McNeal, Norman Kibbe, Ira R. Bird, Royal O. Thayer, Jonathan Cass; the wives of David Eason, George Adams, Calvin Rumsey, and ___ Talmadge, and D. A. Richardson, Mrs. Mary West, Jane West, Mrs. Adeline Mann, Louisa Hough. Rev. Rufus Murray was rector at the time of the organization. His successors have been, Nathaniel H use, 1836; Charles B. Stout, 1841; Charles Arey, 1847 ; Edmund Roberts, 1850; John B. Pradt, 1851 Charles Haskell, 1853; Albert Wood, 1855 ; Francis Granger, 1859; Sidney Wilbur, 1864; E. W. Hager, 1866 J. Wainwright Ray, 1868; J. W. Von Gantzhorne, Jan., 1872; J. S. Seibold, Nov., 1872; John A. Dooris, 1875.
Methodist Episcopal Church of Westfield (1821)
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Westfield had its origin in a class formed in 1821. It was composed of Brainard Spencer and wife, Joseph Clark and wife, Reuben Peck and wife, and others whose names are not recollected. Of this class Reuben Peck was leader. Rev. Glezen Fillmore was presiding elder. Rev. Mr. Hatton was preacher in charge, and Rev. Benjamin P. Hill, assistant. The first meeting-house was built in 1830, on the west side of the creek, where it is occupied as a dwelling-house. The second was built in 1850 on Clinton street, near North Portage street, where it stands unoccupied. Their third house was built in 1871 and 1872, on Main street. In the plan of its construction and the comeliness of its appearance, it was probably not surpassed by any church edifice then in the county. It is built of brick, and cost about $30,000.
First Universalist Church of Westfield (1833)
The First Universalist Church of Westfield was organized in 1833 at Haight’s Corners, Rev. Linus Payne officiating. Among the constituent members were Larkin Harrington, John Nye, Ebenezer Patterson, Alvah Adams, Ebenezer Poor, Fayette Dickson, with their wives, Hannah Houghton, Lucretia Adams, Mrs. Betsey Bickford. Their church edifice was erected in 1842. The first pastor was Nathaniel Stacy.
German Lutheran Chruch (1863)
A German Lutheran church was formed in the village of Westfield about twelve years ago. It was reorganized in 1870, and called the “Evangelical Protestant Lutheran Church.” Its meetings were for a time held in Mr. Rorig’s dwelling house and in the school-house on Union street. After its reorganization, the society bought the school-house on Nettle Hill street, where is now their stated place of worship. They are preparing to build a good and commodious house of worship next year. The officers of the society are: John Swartz, the chief or presiding officer; August Rorig, Christoph Nienkerchen, trustees; Andrew Wonnenwiths, secretary; Charles Lagerman, treasurer. The present minister is William Fromm.
Methodist Episcopal Church at Howard's Corners (1837)
Methodist Episcopal Church at Howard’s Corners. A class was formed about 1837 or 1838, at a log school-house, near Isaac Porter’s. The members were: Rand Miles, [class leader,] Robert Hill, Alanson Jones, and their wives, Rebecca Wheeler, Deborah Harmon. Nicholas Jones 2nd wife, and Laban Jones, joined soon after. The place of meeting was afterwards fixed at Howard’s Corners. The present meeting-house was built in 1852. The minister’ present at the formation of the class, is believed to have been Darius Smith.
Source: Andrew W. Young, History of Chautauqua Co NY 1875.
Various Contributors. (But mostly Donna Mills 2002-2003)