REGIMENT FLAGS

Chautauqua's Civil War Regiment Colors

backarrow    Return to Chautauqua County Gen Web page.


COLORS OF THE 9th REGIMENT CAVALRY, N. Y. S. V.
One Flag.
1. Regimental Banner, blue silk; worn; embroidered with
arms of the State of New York, motto, &c. Presented by
Hon. REUBEN E. FENTON, in March, 1863, on behalf of the
Ladies of Chautauqua county, and carried by the Regiment
until July, 1864.
The 9th Cavalry was organized at Westfield, Chautauqua
county, N. Y., in the fall of 1861. It was composed of companies recruited
in Chautauqua, Wyoming, Cattaraugus, and
St. Lawrence counties, and in the cities of New York and
Albany. It took the field with 940 men, and subsequently
received 1,591 recruits. During the campaigns of 1863-4, it
captured the battle-flag of the 5th South Carolina Cavalry,
at Trevillian Station; the battle-flag of 28th North Carolina
Infantry, at Deep Bottom; the battle-flag of the 23d Virginia Infantry, at
Winchester, Sept. 19, 1864; the battleflag of KERSHAW'S Division, at
Middleton, Va., Oct. 19, 1864. It also captured 984 prisoners during the same period;
and, in SHERIDAN'S brilliant valley campaign, brought in
forty-seven pieces of the enemy's artillery. Up to July, 1864,
it had participated in over thirty fights.
This Flag is accompanied by the Flag of the 5th South
Carolina Cavalry, captured by the Regiment at Trevillian
Station, March, 1863.


COLORS OF THE 112th REGIMENT, N. Y. S. V.
(One Flag.)
1. Regimental Banner, blue silk; almost entirely destroyed;
staff broken and top gone; originally painted with arms of
the State of New York and motto, and number of Regiment.
This Flag was presented to the Regiment at Suffolk, Va.,
in the name of the ladies of Chautauqua county, and was
carried by the Regiment until the fall of 1864, when, having become badly
worn, it was returned to its donors.
The 112th Regiment was recruited at Chautauqua as a
part of the quota of that county, under the calls of July and
August, 1862, and left the State on the 13th September, of
that year, with 1,013 officers and enlisted men. It was at
Suffolk, Va., during the winter and spring of 1862-3, and
participated in many skirmishes and battles in that department. In August,
1863, it was transferred to the Department of the South, and participated in
the operations on Morris Island, which resulted in the capture of Forts Wagner
and Gregg, and the demolition of Fort Sumter. In February, 1864, it was
transferred to Jacksonville, Fla., and in April following, was made a part
of the 2d Division of the Tenth Army Corps of the Army of the James. In May, the 2d Division was
transferred to the Eighteenth Corps, fought in the battle at Coal Harbor,
and subsequently returned to the Tenth Corps. In November, it accompanied
General BUTLER to New York city, and in December, formed part of the
expedition to capture Fort Fisher. It accompanied the second expedition
against Fort Fisher, under General TERRY, and
claims the honor, in common with the 3d, the 117th, and 142d N. Y., of being
the first to enter the Fort, under Gen. CURTIS. Thence to Wilmington and
Raleigh, and the subsequent surrender of General JOHNSTON. It was mustered
out June 14, 1865, with an honorable record of services performed in some of the
most brilliant operations of the war.


National Flag, silk; worn; original staff with plate
inscribed with names of presentors- Mrs. ABBEY P. HEACOCK,
Hon. WM. G. FARGO, and eighteen others.
This was the battle-flag of the Regiment from the spring
of 1862 until October, 1864, when the Regiment was mustered
out. It was borne in the following engagements, viz.: Watt's
Creek, Young's Mills, Wyndi Mills, Siege of Yorktown,
Mechanicsville, Garnett's Farm, Golden's Farm, Savage's
Station, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, 2d Bull Run,
South Mountain, Antietam, 1st Fredericksburgh, Marye's
Heights, Salem Heights, Skirmishes of June 5th and 6th,
Gettysburg, Fairfield, Funckstown, Rappahannock Station,
Mine Run, Wilderness (two), Spottsylvania, North Anna,
Coal Harbor, Petersburgh, Gurley's House, Fort Stevens
(Washington), Charlestown and Opequan Creek.
The 49th Regiment was organized at Buffalo, in the fall
of 1861, under the command of Col. (afterwards Brig.-Gen.)
D. D. BIDWELL. Companies B, D, E, and F, were raised in
Erie Co.; Co's A, G, I, and K, in Chautauqua Co.; Co. C in
Westchester, and Co. H. in Niagara. It was brigaded in 3d
Brigade, of SMITH'S Division, afterwards 2d Division of Sixth
Army Corps. It was with the Army of the Potomac until
July 9th, 1864, when it went with the Sixth Corps to the
defense of Washington, and to the field under SHERIDAN. Its
services are stated in the history of its Flags.


SOURCE:  Dolores Davidson; 2002.