WAR OF 1812 OFFICERS
Compiled from Military
records - by Donna Mills
Any additions or corrections to this
information is appreciated!
Return to Chautauqua
County Gen Web page.
The following are names of officers, commissioned and
non-commissioned, of the companies of Chautauqua militia under
the command of Col. Hugh W. Dobbin.
SOURCE - Donna Mills, 1997
- Capt. Moore's Company- July 4 to October 4, 1812.
- Captain- Jehiel Moore. Lieut.- David Eaton. Ensign-
Charles Burritt. Sergeants- Alpheus McIntyre, John
Ingersoll. Samuel J. Smith. John Dull. Corporals- Amos
Wright, Jonathan S. Pattison, Daniel Densmore. Fifers-
Arnold Russell, John BAte.
- Capt. Moore's Company- October 4 to Dec. 31,1812
- Captain- Jehiel Moore. Lieut.- Samuel D. Wells. Ensign-
Charles Burritt. Sergeants- Alpheus McIntyre, Asa
Johnson, Issac Badgley, John Dull. Corporals- Hezekiah G.
Canfield, Jonathan S. Pattison, Josiah Gibbs. Drummer-
John Bartoo. Fifer- Horatio Hopkins.
- Names of commissioned and non- commissioned officers
under Col. John McMahan.
- Capt. Silsby's Co. Dec 20, 1813 to Feb. 3, 1814.
- Captain- John Silsby. Lieut- Charles Bemus. Ensign- Clark
Parker. Sergeants- Zephaniah Phelps, Abijah Bennett,
Peter Simmons, John Wisner, Wm. Russell (substitute for
H. Tinkcom) David Bly. Corporals- Robert Latham, Stephen
Deming, Samuel Griffith, Hezekiah Seymour, Asa Martin.
Drummer- John Lee. Fifers- Myron Bly, Alanson Root.
- Lieut. Forbes Company- Dec. 20, 1813 to Feb. 3,
1814. [This company was set off from Capt.
Silsby's. Solomon Jones was appointed captain; Wm.
Forbes, lieut.; and William Martin, ensign. Mr. Jones
declining the appointment, Forbes was the senior in
- Lieutenant- William Forbes. Ensign- William Martin.
Sergeants- Amos Bird, Phineas Palmeter Jr., Isaac Martin,
Elijah Akin. Corporals- Stephen Hadley, Ira Owens.
- Capt. Adams' Company- Dec. 20, 1813 to Feb. 3,
- Captain- Moses Adams. Lieut.- David Eaton. 2nd Lieut.-
Campbell Alexander. Ensign- William Ingersoll. Sergeants-
Nathaniel Fay, James Dickson, John Dull, Philip Stephens,
Daniel C. Northrup, Robert C. Dickson. Corporals- Pliny
Case [sub for I. Sweet], Friend Johnson-(taken prisoner
at Black Rock), Rufus Perry, Wm. M. Riddle, Wilder
Emerson, John Smith (wounded). Drummer- George Hall.
Fifer- Barney Turtelot.
- Capt. Tubbs' Company- Dec. 20, 1813 to Feb. 3,
- Captain- Martin B. Tubbs. Lieut.- Peter Ingersoll.
Ensign- Guy Webster. Sergeants- Miles Webster, Joel
Barrell, James Knapp, Nathaniel Barney, Jonathan S.
Pattison. Corporals- Salmon Munger, Ira Clothier, Allen
Denny, Asahel Burnham, Uriah Nash, Moses Hines. Fifers-
Wm. Wilcox, Thomas Nevins. Drummers- John Bartoo, Samuel
- Capt. Tubbs' Company- Aug. 1, 1814- Sept. 26,1814.
- Captain- Martin B. Tubbs. Lieut.- Benj. Perry. Ensign-
Samuel Smith. Sergeants- Miles Webster, Sudim Graves,
Jonathan S. Pattison, James Knapp,. Corporals- Chester
Smith, Arunah Gilmore, Rufus Ransted, Preserved Wells,
Ira Clothier. Drummer- Jno. White. Fifer- Thomas Nevins.
- Capt. McMahan's Company- August 1, 1814.
- Captain- James McMahan. Lieut.- Charles Bemus 2nd Lieut.-
Campbell Alexander.- Ensign- William Ingersoll.
Sergeants- Zephaniah Phillips, Nathaniel Fay, Isaiah
Martin, Daniel C. Northrup, Reuben Ellis, Daniel Bennett.
Corporals- Robert Latham, Stephen Dunning, Pliny Cass,
Lorel Nichols, Rufus Berry. Fifers- Wm. Bandel, Myron
from Elias T. Foote papers at CHS- McClurg House.